Saturday, August 30, 2008

My Friend Says Ponyo Was "Personal"


So I have a friend who is studying in Japan this year and he got to see Hayao Miyazaki's new hit "Ponyo on a Cliff" in a Japanese theater. This is cool because I feel that watching a Japanese movie in a Japanese theater would be a fun experience. He couldn't understand everything that was going on, but he did comment that it was a more personal film then his last couple. In fact, here's the part of his e-mail where he mentions the film:

The art style was very different and welcome - it looked like a large part of it had been done with coloured pencils, tho it's still recognisably a Ghibli film. It's not a very epic movie, like most of Miyazaki's previous works; it's more of a personal narrative like "Totoro" with fantasy added in. Oh, and the villain kind of reminds me of Howl. Good movie. I hope to see it again when subtitles are available!

Well, if it's still in theaters when I go to Japan this year I want to see it too. Oh, and I also can't wait to see Disney's dub of the movie early next year. I normally frown on dubs but Disney does theirs right.

No comments: