Saturday, August 23, 2008

And The Oscar Goes To...WHAT!?!

I'm going to start one more feature installment and then go to bed, but this feature will be a series of rants where I take a random award won by a film that, I feel, didn't deserve an award in that category. For my first installment I want to mention the Oscar Anne Dudley won for Best Original Musical or Comedy Score. The movie she won for? "The Full Monty."



Now don't get me wrong folks; I LOVE "The Full Monty!" I think it's one of our British cousins finest comedies. That said, the score was NOT Oscar worthy! Don't believe me? Go to Amazon.com product page and listen to some of the score samples. Not the songs (which were excellent), the score. Heck, if those samples aren't underwelming enough for you, then just buy the CD. You can buy it used for less then a buck through Amazon.com (Editor's Shameless Note: All purchases through Amazon.com links through this site provides royalties for the webmaster...and he's saving money to go to Japan). This is a classic case where the quality of the songs spilled into the voting of the score.

Of course, this was nothing new for the AMPAS. They were having this problem for years with Disney films winning Oscars not only for songs, but for the scores as well. Scores that, when listened to alone, weren't that great. The straw that broke the camles back was when Hans Zimmer won for his score for "The Lion King," and the Academy created the musical and comedy score award to try and keep Disney from stealing the Best Original Score Oscar away from composers who deserved it. What I find ironic about this is that unlike the Menkin scores, Zimmer's score for "The Lion King" was a good score in it's own right, and probably did deserve to win.

No comments: