Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Coen Brothers Lost Treasure


Though I was a fan of the Joel & Ethan Coen's movies before they struck Oscar gold with last years "No Country For Old Men," I admit that I've only seen a handful of their movies. I've been attempting to rectify that mistake, and one that I discovered recently was "Barton Fink," a movie I'm sorry I skipped for so long. Both funny and poetic, this movie about a struggling screenwriter really spoke to me. Seeing as how I've been struggling with my own book this was a nice little wake up call. To watch this movie is to understand how writing works. Only a few movies can do that ("Adaptation" and "Whisper of the Heart" come to mind). The funny thing about this wonderful movie is how cheap it was.

I got this movie for $2.99 at a local retail store. Even though I'm saving money for Japan I found the deal too much to pass up for a Coen Brothers film. Netflix this, watch it on TV,or buy a cheap DVD of it. This is an overlooked gem if ever I saw one.





No comments: