Sunday, August 24, 2008

Henry Poole Was Inspirational

Though I love the Oscars and I tend to judge the Academy members judgment, I have to admit that I was saddened after I finished watching "Henry Poole Is Here." Partly because of the movie and partly because I know this movie will not get Oscar consideration in any category. Chances are it's not even on the voters radar.



This is a movie about faith. It's not about religion. It's not about church. And heck, to a certain extent it's not even about Jesus, and his mug is (supposingly) in most of the movie. No, this is a movie that is at once about a broken man, at once about faith in good people, and at once about the explainable in the world that just...well, can't be explained. Instead of focusing on asking whether or not there is a God, or whether or not the image in Henry Poole's wall is a miracle or a lousy stuck-o job, the movie decides to focus on what faith is on a fundamental level and what good that faith does for people.

I don't want to spoil too much of the movie (as I still have a review to write), but to say that the movie touched me deeply is an understatement. Some people have been asking me, as a Christian, if there were any good Christian films to made. I always reply the same way: "Just as there are endless possibilities for movies of Catholicism, Scientology, and Atheist themes to be made, so is there endless potential for movies with Christian themes." I'm proud of that explanation, but even I have to admit that the Christian attempts at film tends to be mostly hammy, overtly preachy, and very boring "safe" films that might convert children but not may people above that age level.

Here is something different though. Here is a movie that does not condescend, does not set out to preach, and does not set out to convert. It's concerned with telling a good story with memorable characters. This, ladies and gentlemen, is what a good Christian film movie in general is. Judging by the box office and lack of word-of-mouth this movie is likely to flop at the box office and be a buried treasure in bargain bins over the years. But if you get the chance to see this film please do. It really is one of the better films I've seen this year.

No comments: