Wednesday, September 28, 2011

I Want To Be A Paperback Writer...PAPERBACK WRITER!!!

So faithful readers, I have an announcement to make: I'm writing a book.  An Oscar book to be more precise.  See, its like this...


Alright, so the picture quality is not all that great (and I know I misspelled "presents," and I'm more ashamed of that than anything else I've done recently).  Just because because I understand film, doesn't mean I'm good at making it.  I actually meant to bring this up earlier, but every time I would have time to work on this blog, there would be a topic I wanted to discuss.  I didn't have time to pimp my book, so I put the Kickstarter link on the right hand side and hoped someone would see it (unlike the short story, this had an actual reason to be there).  As mentioned in the video, this book is supposed to be the first in an 83+ book series.  After the initial book I want to write two a year until they are all published.  If this Kickstarter project succeeds, then I can have future books preordered in the same method (though much lower starting costs, since I'll have an established account with the book publisher).

I picked the 60 day option because I wasn't sure if 30 days would be enough.  Turns out, it wasn't.  After 24 days the project has stalled at $721.  That's 14% of the whole project funded.  That's a good start, but it's not promising.  Its sat there for several days untouched and unmoved.  Kickstarter itself has buried the project due to lack of activity on it.  My mom says that I should be patient, that lots of people wait until the last minute.  It's true that I expect to see a bump during the final days...but a $4,300 bump?  I don't know.  My dad doesn't believe the project will succeed, but encourages me to publish the book as an e-book.  He has a point.  I mean, e-books are slowly becoming the way of the future (even if most authors find they make next to no money publishing this way).

I'm sort of old fashioned though, and would love to see the book go to print, even if its just a small amount.  A digital copy would be available either way, but having something to put on the shelf just feels more right.  Since a good portion of the book has been online for free for awhile, the difference between having the e-book as opposed to reading most of the book online for free is...well, the reason for purchasing a copy is much less (though there WILL be exclusive commentary and reviews that will never go on my site).  This book is another reason I started updating the blog again: It was to promote this project.  There's also a sense that - should this succeed - this could all be new material for next years book.  Granted, it would be extra material, but that's fine by most people I think.

The point of this post is to let you all know that this project exists.  Maybe its also a way for me to wonder out loud whether or not it will succeed.  I'm hoping it does.  So far all the movie sites I've e-mailed to help promote the project haven't even gotten back to me.  So now I'm in my own underdog story.  Maybe I'll write a screenplay about it someday?  Who knows.  But anyways, there's the project.  If you'd be interested in a book, please consider pledging.  It goes without saying that projects like this could help support the site, all while giving you something in return.  Well...I guess that's that.  Tune in later for some thoughts I have about "Moneyball" and its Oscar potential.

No comments: