Saturday, September 24, 2011

Here Comes The "Bridesmaids"


After a hard night as work (don't ask), I went home to my humble house and popped in a movie that I picked up Tuesday: "Bridesmaids."  I saw this movie earlier in the year and deemed it the surprise hit of the year.  I gave it four stars in my review, but considering how few great comedies we've gotten this year, maybe I should have added an extra half star to the grade.  The year is almost complete and there hasn't been a more funny film I've seen this year (the film is very likely to make my Top Ten list).  Re-watching it on BluRay made me realize something: This film may have Oscar potential.  I know, I know, comedy is a tough sell for the Academy.  But you know what?  Once in awhile you just sort of have to go with your heart.  It seems unlikely on paper that this would get nominated for anything, but considering the shallow competition we've gotten so far, it seems more crazy not to predict it at this point.

It has box office success.  It has a breakout performance by Kristen Wiig.  It's also one of two big hits this year starring mostly women ("The Help" being the other one).  And by golly, this is such a funny movie that I'm starting to feel like a bitter old man not predicting it to get nominated for SOMETHING!  So first I'm going to predict Kristen Wiig getting a nomination for Best Actress.  This was a breakout role for her, and she just won an Emmy a few nights ago, so she may have momentum to get a nomination here.  I'm also throwing in a prediction for Best Original Screenplay, since the screenplay categories are where comedies tend to fare very good.  Don't believe me: "Shrek" got a nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay.  No joke, look it up.  My last prediction is a long shot, but I'm going to predict a nomination for Melissa McCarthy for Best Supporting Actress.

I know, that last one sounds more crazy than anything else, but think about it: She STEALS the movie!  Every scene she's in she's upstaging the entire cast of characters, and she's the most complex woman in the whole film without getting all serious and depressing.  Way back in 1960 Peter Ustinov won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for the Stanley Kubrick film "Spartacus."  You may think that for an epic that must have been a serious role, but you'd be wrong.  It was comical.  VERY comical!  Kevin Kline and Alan Arkin won Oscars in this category for playing largely goofy roles, so if a comedy performance is going to get a nomination, it will normally be as a supporting character.  Whether it gets these nominations or not is up in the air, but one thing should be obvious: If you haven't seen "Bridesmaids" yet, you are missing out on the best comedy of the year.  No joke, you really are.

Update: I made a mistake in the article.  It wasn't Kristen Wiig who won an Emmy it was actually Melissa McCarthy.  I'm sort of glad I was wrong about this though, as it gives McCarthy's chance at a Best Supporting Actress nod more weight.

No comments: