Tuesday, February 17, 2009

New Image of Disney's "The Princess & The Frog"

The more I see of it the more of a believer I am. As I mentioned before journelists are supposed to be agnostic regrading upcoming films. While there are certainly some films you look forward to seeing more then others, the point is not to get your hopes up too high based on any pre-release stuff you see. Studios want you to pay money to see their product, and they will decorate crap to look and smell like chocolate ice cream so long as you'll buy it. But I have to admit I'm really looking forward to Disney's "The Princess & The Frog" (which is levitating between a July and December release if I recall). I got this from Jim Hill Media.com...

...and I'm offcially a fan. Right now I don't even care if the movie is good or not. Well...I take that back, I do care, but the bottom line is Disney is finally returning to their element: Making beautiful handrawn films. I look at that screenshot and am blown away. I even get a little choked up because this is the most beautiful piece of animation Disney's produced since they released "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" (the following movie, "Hurcules," marked the begining of the "jaded" animation look Disney's later films became known for). As colorful as "The Emperor's New Groove" and as lush as "Beauty & The Beast," this one shot raises the bar of the movie by so much. The only thing I'm concerned about now is the fact that Randy Newman replaced Alan Menkin to write the score and songs. Sorry Randy, but when it comes to song writers Menkin is king...and maybe Phil Collins too.

No comments: