Saturday, December 13, 2008

An Unrelated Post


This is the first time I've used this blog to post a non-movie post, but I feel I have to now. If you don't care about non-movie stuff feel free to skip this. I hate eBay. I used to love them, been selling on them for years, but that love affair has come to an end. I recently went to Japan. Now I sold some stuff on eBay before I went, with a warning that if payment wasn't received by a certain time the item would not be shipped until after I got back. Some people missed the deadline and complained. I shipped the stuff when I got back, but the sellers rated the shipping time with either a three or two star grade. They are within their right to do that, but what they don't know is that by doing so they have tied my hands.

I can now no longer sell on eBay.

At least, not for the time being. This is a blow to me as I make extra income during Christmas time, and now I can't make it. Keep in mind, my account is not terrible. Over the last six months I have over 100 positive feedbacks, two neutrals, and one negative. Obviously I'm a good seller. Plus my communication, price, shipping costs, and all those other things are in top notch. But I don't get to sell because of my shipping grade. How high do I need to be to have a good shipping grade? 4.3. eBay considers 4.0 to be good. I have 3.8. The most I can get is 5.0. I'm not sure who did this math, but it seems like I have to walk on water to keep these scores high, and even then I might always be in fear of not reaching the goal.

This, on top of all the other bad changes eBay's been making. Not being able to leave negative feedback for buyers. Forcing me to have a flat shipping rate for items (and limiting what that rate can be for some). And on top of that they raised their fees yet are giving me less service. I don't know what to do. Chances are, when I can sell again, I'll do one last auction day to sell off some stuff I intended to sell anyway, but then that's it. I'm joining the boycott and you should too. Here is a video to watch. It's a bit old and the guy has done many like it since, but I think this one highlights many of the problems with eBay, and why they deserve to be ignored until they change their practices.

No comments: