Saturday, December 13, 2008

Holy Cow! I Didn't See THAT Coming!


It's official: The Academy has just announced that Hugh Jackman will be hosting the 81st Annual Academy Awards telecast. This, I must say, shocked me. Normally the Academy has been very upfront about who's hosting the Oscars. Normally we know who's hosting the awards before we even talk about which films will be up for nominations. Not this time. The Academy said they were going to try something new for the Oscars, and they hoped to bring in someone who would bring something fresh to the table. I'd say this is fresh. Though I'm shocked by this announcement, I have to say I'm very interested in how this turns out. I wonder if this is going to be a conflict of interest if he gets nominated for "Australia." Nah, probably not; "Australia" is heading for obscurity pretty darn fast. Here's what the Academy had to say about the choice:

“Hugh Jackman is a consummate entertainer and an internationally renowned movie star,” said Mark and Condon in a joint statement. “He also has style, elegance and a sense of occasion. Hugh is the ideal choice to host a celebration of the year’s movies – and to have fun doing it.”

You can read the read here.

No comments: