Thursday, January 15, 2009

RB Says It Best


Reading through reader comments in response to an article written by Sasha Stone about "The Dark Knight's" shaky ground with Oscar leads to some interesting responses. Most of the responses are from rabid fanboys and rabid haters, and therefor aren't worth spending time reading, but this response from reader RB sums it up nicely (number 15 for those curious):

Despite my own reservations about [The Dark Knight] (as Sasha yelled at me earlier about), I just cannot fathom a Best Picture list without it. Sometimes the Oscars just have to give it up to something that is as beloved by the audience as this is - i.e. Titanic (another flawed film, but had everything else going for it).

I cannot bring myself to like this film more than I do (a solid B on my review) but I also cannot bring myself to imagine a Best Picture lineup without it. It would just feel like the Academy officially lost its damn mind. And I honestly and truly hope they don’t pit Wall-E and TDK against each other as the popularity contest. You know, sometimes, the audience DOES get it right.

I feel this sums up my feelings about the nominations nicely. Well, the nominations are announced next week, let's hope they don't let us down.

No comments: