Friday, January 16, 2009

Circuit City Goes 'Bye, Bye'


Well, today was a somber day for me in more then one day. First off I was laid off from my job, a job I held for more then two years, and am in the process of finding another one during economic hard times. The second thing though is that Circuit City has decided to close it's doors. Now I'm not too surprised by this. First of all, the company has been losing money for years. Secondly, they haven't done anything to remedy this. I didn't go there too often, but when I did there was a lack of salesmen, product, and the customer service counter doubled at the cashier counter. This stuff can get in the way of quality service, and Circuit City never bothered to fix this it seems. Thirdly, they didn't do much to stay competitive in sales with other companies. I've been waiting for the stores to close for while now, so I wasn't a frequent shopper or anything. The sad thing is that it feels like so many things are coming to an end. KB Toys, Circuit City, F.Y.E., everything. What's next? Toys R Us? Suncoast? It doesn't seem like anything is safe anymore. The only positive thing I see coming from this is that as the stock market closes down on more and more franchises, that people eventually go back to mom and pop shops that have been the lifeblood of America for many years. So while this is depressing, there's at least a silver lining somewhere down the road.

No comments: