Tuesday, September 2, 2008

"Milk" Poster Reveled

The poster for Gus Van Sant's upcoming biopic "Milk" has been released...and I have to say I'm a fan. Looking like an old fashioned 70's political ad, this is one of the few "stylish" posters I've seen recently (even if its still all about Sean Penn). I'm starting to warm up to the idea of Penn as Harvey Milk, but we'll still have to see whether or not it picks up Oscar nominations. If "Brokeback Mountain" didn't go the distance I don't think "Milk" will. After all, when was the last time you saw a biopic win Best Picture? Has it even happened?

Update: 9-4-2008

Boy, do I feel stupid. As someone pointed out in the comments below, biopic movies HAVE won Best Picture! A few of them are even some of my favorite films of all time; "Schindler's List," "The Last Emperor," and "Amadeus" (though the latter is possibly up for debate with the, shall we say - loose - historical accuracy). Oh well, I'm glad I made this mistake because it shows that someone is reading, and they care enough to comment.

Update: 9-5-2008

Well the poster had to be taken down because it wasn't the official poster that Focus Features authorized, so I guess we'll have to wait a bit more to see what the real poster is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You've got to be kidding me! Of course biopics have won Best Pic before.
Here are some: A Beautiful Mind, Braveheart, Schindler's List, The Last Emperor, Amadeus, Gandhi, Lawrence of Arabia, The Life of Emile Zola, The Great Ziegfeld

And besides, Milk will be so much more than just a biopic. I'm expecting the movie to recreate an important part of the history of the city of San Francisco and an era that saw the beginning of the Gay Rights movement.