Saturday, May 9, 2009

Set Phasers To 'Stun'


"Star Trek" is officially a hit. It has a unpredicted 96% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. It has a high Metacritic score of 84. It has made over $30 million on the first day and could very well cross the $300 million mark in a few weeks. Casual fans and hardcore fans love it. The production on the film is universally acclaimed. Frankly, the only thing that might not be in "Star Trek's" court is Roger Ebert (who gave it a lukewarm 2 and a half stars in his review). With a film this critically acclaimed combined with a strong box office usually leads to gold from the Academy. The question is how many Oscar nominations will it garner? 2? 4? 8? Will they all be tech awards or will one of the big five sneak in there? Who knows at this point. Right now I'm only willing to bet on some tech awards. The boldest prediction I'm going to make is Best Director for J.J. Abrams, as the Academy will usually honor the movies overall quality in this category more then anywhere else.

I'm not sure about the rest though. Makeup, sound, and visual effects seem like a given right now, but I don't forsee any acting or writing nominations. Chances are it won't even come close to touching Best Picture. Best Director though...that I have a funny feeling about. I'm going to be keeping an eye on that one for personal reasons. I'll also share my full review sometime with you next week (right now there are some legal issues with a former employeer that is eating up my free time).

No comments: