Sunday, April 26, 2009

No Ladies: Zac Efron Is NOT Winning An Oscar!


So I saw "17 Again" last week. I'll be posting my full review of it on The Movie Wizard.com tomorrow (if not the following day), but I just want to mention something to all my girlfriends who were holding their breath on my opinion of this film; yes, I liked this movie. And yes, Zac Efron was very good in this film. But girls, he's NOT getting an Oscar for this movie! In fact, it's laughable to think he'd even get nominated for this film. I know that Tom Hanks got an Oscar nomination for "Big," a movie that shares a similar story with this film. But not only was that movie directed by Penny Marshall with a complexity you don't normally find in crowd-pleaser films, it starred Tom Hanks. Tom is such a likable and talented actor that even in his bad movies he can squeez out a good performance ("The Ladykillers" anyone?). Zac Efron, despite being cute and likable, is NOT Tom Hanks!

If anything his performance in "17 Again" is much like Matthew Broodricks performance in "Ferris Buelure's Day Off": Cute, sweet, and most likely the highlight of his career. "17 Again" IS better then most movies like this are! Truth be told I'll probably be buying the BluRay when it comes out because it's a movie that is so easy to like that I'll end up watching it several more times down the road. But Oscar worthy? I think you girls need to educate yourself on what a real young actor can do. If you want to see kids and teens in award nominated roles check out Justin Henry in "Kramer vs. Kramer," "Haley Joel Osment in "The Sixth Sense," Leonardo DiCaprio in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?," and Anna Paquin in "The Piano" (this role actually took home the gold). But if Efron gets a nomination it will only be because it was a slow year.

No comments: