Sunday, November 23, 2008

What Happened To Ponyo?

Hey everyone, sorry about the lack of updates I've been...well, I've been in Japan. Enjoying a bit of the world. I enjoyed myself so much I'm looking into moving there for a period of time in a few years. But the real reason I bring this up is because while in Japan I had the good fortune to be able to catch Hayao Miyazaki's latest film, "Ponyo on a Cliff," in theaters...

...and considering this movie was considered by many people (myself included) to be "Wall•E's" biggest competition I felt it only fitting to comment on it. Now, as we found out a week ago this movie will not be elidgible for the Best Animated Feature category this year (most likely because the movie won't be released domestically until next year). However, this doesn't upset me too much. In fact, I think this is a good thing because while this movie is good, it was NOT going to beat "Wall•E" (unless, of course, the Academy votes for another movie just because Pixar wins too many awards these days)! Now I have to admit that my Japanese is not the best, but "Ponyo on a Cliff" was simplistic enough that I was able to follow it with little trouble. This film has more in common with "My Neighbor Totoro" then "Spirited Away." That basically means it's a movie made for small children.

This is not a bad thing though as Miyazaki makes some of the most magical and charming children's movies out there, and Ponyo is no different. With pure handdrawn animation (no computers), vibrant watercolors, and Joe Hisaishi's best score since "Princess Mononoke," "Ponyo on a Cliff" may be simple, but it's darn difficult not to be won in by it's charms. The fact that it's more of a charming film then an important film could have hurt it's Oscar chances this year, so it being in next years race will bode better for it's chances at a win. That said, is there any movie that can upset "Wall•E" at this point? Well, yes, now that I think about it. There are two in fact. The is "Waltz with Bashir"...

...which could win on the grounds that it's an important, adult oriented film. The Academy has yet to award an adult animation an Oscar in this category though, and the category is still looked at as, more or less, Best Family Feature. Which means the biggest competition "Wall•E" has at this point...

...is Disney's own "Bolt," which has won critics over and completely surprised the public. Here is a movie that is family friendly, looks to make a lot of money, and didn't look all that interesting until people actually watched it. It also has the advantage of being released by Disney who, despite pioneering animation in feature film, has yet to win an award in this category. This could be the make-up award from the Academy should Pixar fatique set in. Either way the animated category is looking the most competitive it's been since "Spirited Away" and "Lilo & Stitch" duked it out in 2002. Should be an interested year for animation come Oscar time.

No comments: