Thursday, October 9, 2008

W. Gets Rated


This may be old news, but I think it's worth mentioning anyway. Oliver Stone's George W. Bush film, "W," has been rated PG-13 by the MPAA. Yeah, I'm going to complain about the PG-13 rating again, though it's not for the actual rating of the film itself. See, Oliver Stone is a, shall we say...radical film maker. This is a guy who has won three Oscars, and two of those were for directing. With the exception of "World Trade Center" and a second film I can't think of, all of Stones films have been rated R. This allows him to be extreme, on the edge, and larger-than-life. When he's on a PG-13 level he seems restrained, like he wants to do something unexpected but can't. Though Hollywood is very liberal and currently very much "Obama Land," the people bucking this film seems to be taking a very conservative approuch to this movie.

The approuch being: Don't be offensive. Admit the man has made some mistakes and move on. People who hate Bush don't want to see this anyway. The lack of an R leads me to believe that the film will hold back when it shouldn't, and that could lead to a less interesting film. Rating aside though I truly don't know what to expect anymore. The first trailer advertised a drama. The second trailer made the movie look like a spoof. Then I saw a preview on TV that made the movie look like a comedy. Really, this movie can't get here fast enough so I can move on from thinking about it (because, aside from some acting nominations, I doubt this is going to get much attention at the Oscars).

No comments: